A popular choice for many adults and parents to give their kids as a healthy snack. We are here to tell you that is a myth as dried fruit contains one of the highest concentrations of Sulfur dioxide.
Sulfites, such as sulfur dioxide, not only help prevent foods from becoming discolored, they also discourage the growth of bacteria. Additionally, they can soften dough or bleach foods.
Individuals who are sensitive to Sulfites can potentially experience the following side effects:
1) low blood pressure
2) flushed skin
3) stomach pain and diarrhea.
4) exacerbate asthma attacks in asmatics
Common foods and drinks that contain Sulfides:
1) Wine, tea, juices, beer, hard cider
2) baked goods, molasses, gravy, condiments
3) Dried soup mix, jam, pre-cut potatoes and shrimp may all contain sulfites.
Read the nutrition labels on processed foods and avoid any that contain potassium bisulfite, sodium metabisulfite, potassium metabisulfite, sodium sulfite, sulfur dioxide and sodium bisulfite.
Read the labels and avoid this additive!