Organic super food gimmicks!
The assault with sugar never ever ends! I was at whole foods getting groceries and I saw a new drink on the shelf that a lot people have been telling me about that contains the next super food known as Camu Camu. So I did the research…
This popular beverage contains camu camu powder which has numerous health benefits, this beverage also contains organic juices as well however the big problem once again is SUGAR! I looked over all the flavors and each bottle averages about 30-40 grams of sugar to mask the taste of the camu camu powder.
To put it into perspective 30-40 grams of sugar is 30-40 sugar cubes as each gram = 1 sugar cube. Or another way to see it is a full Size package that contains 2 twix bars has roughly 20 grams of sugar! So you roughly consumed almost 4 bars with this one drink!
Even though the sugar from this drink comes from the organic juice, it is way too much sugar in one serving which outweighs any of the benefits you will receive from the Camu Camu.
For everyone’s convenience I included some of the benefits of camu camu as well. You can include it in your diet in tablet or powder form. The powder can be used to flavour other foods, without the sugar!
The benefits of this fruit include:
- Contains Vitamin C: It is chock full of vitamin C: 60 times more per serving than an orange! A teaspoon of camu camu powder has 1180 per cent of your recommended daily intake for vitamin C, which is important for gum health, among other functions in our body.
- Contains Valine: This is an amino acid that is essential amino acid, meaning that we must get it in food because our bodies can’t produce it. Valine is used by the body to prevent muscle breakdown and is important for nervous system and cognitive function.
- Contains Potassium: Our bodies need potassium for the proper functioning of the heart and kidneys. Camu camu is one way to get it: 71.1 milligrams are found in every 100 grams.
- Contains Leucine: This is another essential amino acid found in camu camu, one that our bodies need for muscle and bone tissue growth and recovery and the production of growth hormones.
- Contains Serine another amino acid: This one is key for digestion: serine helps to break down the bonds in proteins and polypeptides so they can be used by our bodies.
- Contains Flavonoids: Contains several different flavonoids, which are compounds that are found in plants and are part of what gives fruits and vegetables their awesome colours. They mostly function in the body as antioxidants, neutralizing harmful free radicals.
- Cotains Gallic Acid: Gallic acid is found in appears to have anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. It also acts as an antioxidant.
- Contains Ellagic Acid: This is another acid with antioxidant properties, some research also indicates that ellagic acid has anti-diabetes effects.
- Reduction in inflammation
We will keep our eyes out for more super food gimmicks!